Whew! After all the “run here/run there” and “do this/do that” of the holiday season, do you feel like a wet sponge that has been completely wrung out? Expecting too much of ourselves and others can leave us exhausted and maybe even let down. Here is a basic relaxation technique I’ve run across at various times over the years (so, of course, I don’t take credit for it). Give it a try to help you regain a sense of calm and wholeness.
1. Close your eyes and begin to breathe in deeply through your nose and exhale slowly and deeply through your mouth.
2. As you continue this deliberate slow breathing, envision yourself relaxing your body starting at the top of your head.
3. Now in your mind visualize relaxing your eyebrows, your eyes, and your ears.
4. Imagine relaxing your jaw.
5. Move in your mind’s eye to your neck and your shoulders and picture the release of tension.
6. Continue by concentrating on the relaxation of the core of your body.
7. Picture yourself letting go of the stress in your thighs, knees, and calves.
8. Picture the release of tension in your feet. And move your feet freely and wiggle your toes for a few seconds.
9. Open your eyes and mediate for one minute on something wonderful that you enjoyed during the holiday season.
Come back to this relaxation technique as often as you feel the need.
Connie Carlisle Polley, 2019
The printed edition is currently on sale for $14.16–we don’t know for how long (it’s up to Amazon!).