TURKEY TROT is an outdoor game my family has played while celebrating the Thanksgiving season. You could easily adapt it to other times of the year as SANTA SLEIGH RIDE, BUNNY HOP, etc. Use your imagination to come up with other variations and have fun!
1. Game Coordinator: Use twenty 8″ by 11″ sheets of paper to prepare in advance cartoonish colored sketches of Turkeys or Santas or Easter Bunnies which fill up the whole sheet. Cut out the individual seasonal characters. Number them 1-20 on the front with a bold marker. On the back write A-T, not coordinating 1 with A, but using letters of the alphabet randomly.
2. Put tape just at the top of the seasonal character drawings and affix them outside (on a fence, garbage can, garage window, etc.) in visible areas while game participants are in a holding room where they can not see where the game coordinator is positioning the drawings.
3. Hand out a game sheet and pen or pencil to each Individual Player or Team of Two Players. So younger children do not feel overwhelmed by the competition, you may want to assign Teams of Two made up of a small child and an adult or a small child and an older child.
4. TURKEY TROT (or other) is written at the top of the Game Sheet with a place for the Participant(s) Name(s). The #s 1-10 are written from top to bottom on the left margin of the sheet and the #s 11-20 are written top to bottom down the center of the sheet.
5. The idea of the game is for the Player or Team to spot a TURKEY, sneak a peak at the back of the TURKEY they spot without drawing undue attention to themselves and write the alphabet letter next to the appropriate # on the Game Sheet.
6. ON YOUR MARK! GET SET! GO! When a Player or Team has filled in letters of the alphabet for all twenty numbers, they turn in their completed Game Sheet to the Game Coordinator. The Coordinator calls, “Time!” after accepting the first two or more to finish. The Coordinator checks to see if the first finalist’s entry is 100% correct. If not, the next finalist’s entry is checked before a WINNER is declared.
More fun activities can be found in my Nonny Day Series of children’s books! Beautifully-illustrated print editions of Volumes 1 & 2 are now available for the reduced price of 12.50. Free digital access for Kindle Unlimited subscribers. Each book contains a fun story written in rhyme and related activities for early readers.
Illustrations by Louisville, Kentucky artist Courtney Coriell Williams