Because of family food allergies and preferences, I created my own Vegetarian Crock Pot Dressing a few years ago. Even though it may be lacking the traditional chicken or turkey broth as an ingredient, it is not lacking in flavor! In fact, it has become a family favorite!
- 1 ½ cups finely minced celery (about 4 stalks)
- 1 ½ cups finely minced onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 12 oz. pkgs. Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing
- 4 cups home-made or bought sour dough bread, torn
- 5 cups hot water seasoned with 5 vegetable bouillon cubes or 5 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup Fleishman’s Unsalted Margarine (4 tablespoons = ½ stick) melted
- In an iron (or other) skillet sautée celery & onion in olive oil until vegetables are clear.
- In a giant mixing bowl combine the cooked onion and celery with the seasoned stuffing, sour dough bread, vegetable broth, and unsalted margarine.
- Pack lightly into a 4-quart Crock Pot. Cover. Cook on high setting for 45 minutes. Transfer contents to a giant mixing bowl and stir. Then put contents back in the Crock Pot. Reduce heat to low setting and cook for approximately 2 more hours, checking that dressing is not sticking to the pot. Then reduce heat to warm setting to serve directly from the Crock Pot.
- Right before mealtime, heat Campbell’s Mushroom Gravy in a small pan. Serve Nonny’s Crock Pot Dressing with mushroom gravy on top.
Nonny’s Favorite Holiday (Or Any Day) Recipes –
Nonny’s Vegetarian Crock Pot Dressing
Connie Carlisle Polley, 2022
One book in my Nonny Day Series goes especially well with this Autumn season!