This may be the season when you find yourself with extra green tomatoes on the vine in your garden, or you see them at your farmer’s market or at your grocer’s. If so, here is an easy recipe for Sizzling Southern Fried Green Tomatoes, just the way I made them for my children when they were growing up and now for my grandchildren. No ingredient measurements are listed as it just depends on how many green tomatoes you have and want to fix.
- green tomatoes sliced about a ¼ inch in thickness
- an egg (or more) well beaten with a fork
- flour with salt and pepper to taste, or a seasoned flour such as Kentucky Kernel Flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- a little butter or margarine to add right at the end of frying for extra flavor
- Add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- While skillet and oil are getting hot, dip tomato slices in the beaten egg, and then dredge them in a shallow plate of seasoned flour.
- Place tomato slices individually in the hot skillet, without over-lapping. Turn slices with a fork several times as slices soften, adding more vegetable oil as needed.
- When slices are soft on the inside and crisp on the outside, add a little butter or margarine for extra flavor. Butter blackens if you add it too soon.
- Remove tomatoes from skillet onto a plate lined with a couple of paper towels to drain for 2-3 minutes. Then place Sizzling Southern Fried Green Tomatoes on a serving dish and serve immediately.
A Recipe Snippet to Brighten Your Spirit: Fried Green Tomatoes
By Connie Carlisle Polley, 2021